Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Shadow's Embrace

I know that we as a class are going to start our poetry unit soon, so I took it upon myself to try writing a poem for the first time in a long while.  I am very used to writing songs, but they always have to follow some kind of rhythm.  Many songs could be considered great examples of poetry as many of them begin in that fashion, but I just feel that having the ability to write in free verse could give me a chance to embelish upon my thoughts moreso than a regularly written song.  Maybe I'll end up turning some of my poems that I write during the next unit into songs; that would actually be great in my opinion.  Anyways, without further ado, here is my first attempt at a free verse poem in a very long time...

Shadow's Embrace

I find myself in a room of darkness

With the shadows of love’s forlorn past 

They skulk in the darkest corners 

Out of sight, but never out of mind 

They haunt me; they fence me in


Without a way out, with nowhere to go 

The only things I have left are my memories 

Memories that console me; memories that eat away 

They are a double edged sword, but a saving grace

My darkness never leaves, it is my burden


There is a light in the darkness

Radiance; a hope to once again feel 

You are my liberator, easing my burden

You eradicated my darkness

Now it  is time for me to do the same

4 comments:

  1. lovely!

    Great imagery. I really liked how you played with light and darkness, and shadow--throughout.

    We will be exploring songwriting! hope you enjoy the process...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    I can't wait until we get to songwriting, I have a bunch of songs and started ideas that I would love to add to and improve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy the deep thought and emotion put into this put into this poem. Also a great idea to start getting your mind in poetry writing mode when we are starting the unit. Keep writing bud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you brother, your feedback helps me know what to keep doing, and what to stop. You are a gentleman and a scholar, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete